Designers and bloggers Tamisha and Samantha of Tam + Sam share Fly Five things they like right now.
For this series, we have decided to explore the idea of 'DIY' with an independent publication, a brilliant graphic designer who uses hand-drawn typography, a must-have DIY printing book, a unique type camera to capture your best memories and finally a jewelry line hand-made in the US.
1. Glossy: Lula Magazine is without a doubt one of our favorite fashion magazines. We love the nostalgic and dreamy feel of this glossy and its unique editorials and covers. If like us, you all that is beautiful in arts, fashion & culture and are looking for a fresh magazine that will inspire you, pick up a copy of this bi-annual publication. Lula was founded in 2005 by Canadian transplant to the UK Leith Clark.
2. We heart Typos: Typography is at the core of SO-ME's art & style. The Parisian visual artist who's also the artistic director for music label Ed Banger pushes forward a playful & sophisticated aesthetic that we adore. SO-ME creates the most original and intricate hand-drawn fonts that resemble graffiti and we love his use of bold & bright colors and the attention to details on his illustrations. We're particularly fond of his work for the late DJ Mehdi's 2006 release 'Lucky Boy'.
3. Yes, You Can: Both of us are huge DIYers (screen-printing, collages, acrylic transfers) and we love to experiment with new techniques and play around we ink, paint, fabrics & paper. We each recently got a copy of Christine Schmidt's Print Workshop Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects and we encourage you to do the same. Whether you're experienced or at the early stage of your 'DIY career', you will certainly find something their to keep your hands busy in there.
4. Flash: Lomography Cameras. Rules are meant to be broken and with these cameras your playful pic may become stellar photographs. Instant magical shots, photo effects and some with crafted frames — the Lomography goes above and beyond. Smile!
5. Golden Wish: This brand name is reminiscent of things loved and treasured. Most goals commence as a simple wish and we love Dogeared petite gems because they encourage us to dream…and make our dreams come true.