Check out 21 year-old singer/DJ Yasmin Shahmir from the UK. I'm totally diggin' her sound.
1. The Paira Birds Geometry Print 2. Chocolate Genie Lamp 3. John Robshaw Aloewood Decorative Pillow 4. Crate&Barrel Petrie Sofa 5. Zigzag Printed Rug 6. CB2 Max Orange Felt Ottoman 7. Aphro Chic The Beat Gray Pillow
Celebrating ladies with impeccable style...
Photographed by David Luong
Graphic designer and inspiration blogger (of Compai, another fly daily read) Justina Blakeney has a passion for color and mixing patterns which her work and wardrobe clearly reflects. We love her fabulous bohemianista style, it's rich with cross-cultural flair.
Top left photographed by Jennifer Young and others by Justina Blakeney
Love love love these looks from Catherine Malandrino's Fall 2011 collection. The mix of downtown edge with tailored tweeds and some 70's throwback accents is delicious. I want to rock each of these looks.
Where? Brooklyn NY and Philadelphia (I travel between both cities)
What do you do? I am a filmmaker, poet, activist, and mentor. I use my art to to help bring about social change and challenge people to make a difference or inspire youth. I make documentaries and I have a non-profit I run with my best friend called RWUL where we use film as an outreach tool in the community. We put on film festivals, host film screenings for independent filmmakers, and teach kids about filmmaking and social issues including cross-cultural awareness that filmmaking can help bring discussion around.
I also have a program I run for mothers in Africa and the US to help mothers in need get things they need before or after their pregnancies. This program is called the MaMa Africa Program and I am currently writing a script for a film about our program. In my spare time I mentor youth in Brooklyn NY and in Uganda, East Africa. Currently, I am working on releasing my first book of poetry My Relation to the Sun, due to be release in October 2011.
What inspires you? The young people I work with inspire me the most. Their energy and willingness learn gives me hope. My late beloved mother was also an inspiration for me because she taught me to dream big and to believe in myself.
Why are you fly? I think I am fly because I am intelligent. Even though I am a filmmaker I received a degree in Psychology and Biolology Pre-med life science concentration for Virginia Commonwealth University. I love science as well as art and I think that makes me fly.
Advice: I would tell other women out there to never give up and keep re-inventing a new you. Try to aim for happiness because that will ultimately help you help others.
Check out my blogs and websites:
Want to be a Fly Girl of the Week? Click here for more info on how to submit.
At the Baltimore Book Festival this past weekend I stumbled upon a tent-covered stand of zines and indepently published art newspapers. The various publications were beautiful with their hand drawn illustrations, screenprinted pages, and quirky mastheads. I was especially drawn to Nobrow's number five issue, themed A Few of my Favourite Things, where thirty artists were invited to create patterns highlighting their favorite things. It's a beautiful collection of illustrations, all using just four colors. They weren't selling the issue at the festival so I can't wait to order my copy.
1. Play Asa's Beautiful Imperfection album on your way to and from work, and throughout the day.
2. Eat a freshly baked almond croissant from a local bakery. Such a delightful way to start a morning or a sweet treat for the afternoon.
3. Download Evernote, a great tool to collect and organize boomarked items. I've been using it for a month now and love it for bookmarking articles I love or want to read later.
4. Email, Skype or iChat with a friend you haven't spoken to in a while.
5. Order a book, or get a book from the library. If you're new to or curious about graphic design I highly recommend Graphic Design Thinking by Ellen Lupton. This easy, visually rich read is great for understanding the graphic design process; generating ideas, and implementing those ideas.
What are some random things you have planned for today?
Fashion blogger Naseya Minor takes us to a fly boutique in Washington, D.C.
Want to submit a fly spot in your town? Click here to learn how.